Needless to say, the amount of joy and celebration the month of April, being the National Poetry Month, brings to this little poet. The whole month was a whirlwind of events, poetry readings, workshops, and a plethora of anything and everything poetry.
The highlight of the month was me being the recipient of the Poet Fellowship from coveted Martha’s Vineyard Institute of Creative Writing. I’m super thrilled to receive my first ever fellowship and am looking forward to the writing conference in June 2021.
April was pitted with poetry reading events and I was super blessed to be part of the “When Women Speak” event curated by brilliant Ameerah Shabazz Bilal which was streamed from the historic Nuyorican Cafe in NYC. I was also chosen to be a co-judge for the Poetry Slam Competition for the Annual Social Fest of the IITD ( Institute of Information Technology, Delhi) Kaizen’ 21. In addition, I was also invited to judge the State Level Poetry Contest NJ Dara Axelrod Poetry Contest along with Jacquese Armstrong.
The other highlights included me being the #featuredpoet in the “Anantha” Poetry festival alongside Johsua Corwin, Kavita, Kashiana, and many more. I was also chosen to be part of the Hudson County Community College event “Step Up to the Mic” in collaboration with InFullColor. The other highlight of the month was me chosen as a panelist for the coveted WNBA -DC ( Women National Book Association) “Women in Poetry’ Future“. The event was moderated by the WNBADC Award Chair and Co-vice President NC Neil and Poetry Matters Prize Founder, Lucinda Clark. I was honored to share the space with award-winning poet Sophia Falco.
Poetry reading to celebrate the ending of the workshop curated by Queens Poet Laureate, Maria Lisella was also the highlight of the month. My other coveted poetry readings included the “Words for Birds” event organized by the Lake Mitchell Audubon Centre, Deceleration, and Stone in Stream Writers Group.
The month rounded up with the announcement of me winning Second Place in the San Gabriel Broadside Poetry Festival in the People’s Choice Category curated by Don Kingfisher Campbell. I was also honored to be a part of the Reading Series curated by Kalpna Singh Chitnis to celebrate the book Launch of “Paws Healing the Earth” anthology.
The month also got special with the reading of two of my poems by the UK award-winning playwright and singer, Tally Koren for the event” Changing the Face of Poetry”.
Publications of the Month Included the place in the “Surviving the Suicide” anthology by Nirala Publications, “Boundless Anthology” of the Rio Grande Valley Poetry festival, Spring 2021 Issue by North of Oxford, Vita Brevis Anthology “Brought to Sight and Swept Away”, “Paws Healing the Earth” by River Paws Press, “Lessons from the Earth”, by Poet Laureate of Coburg, Ontario, Canada., “Writing for Peace” anthology by Dove Tales,
The launch of “The Kali Project” in Kolkata, India by the Rakshak Foundation was also the highlight of the month.
I’m eternally grateful to all the readers, friends, mentors, and my writer friends for giving me space and opportunities and for encouraging me always.
Happy National Poetry Month!!
List of events/publications/contest/press mentions for the month of April 2021
- Recipient of Martha Vineyard Institute of Creative Writing (MVICW) Poet Fellowship 2021
- Featured as Slam Poetry Judge for the NSS (Indian Institute of Technology) IIT-Delhi Annual Fest Kaizen ’21
- Poetry Reading at the historical Nuyorican Cafe, NYC for “When Women Speak” event on April 10,2021
- Webcast Recording for the WNBA-DC ( Women National Book Association-DC Chapter) “Women in Poetry Future”
- Second Place winner in the San Gabriel Broadside Poetry Contest ( People’s Choice Awards) #NationalPoetryMonth
- Poetry Reading for the 13th Annual Words for Birds 2021 organized by Mitchell Lake Audubon center on April 24, 2021 at 7pm CST/8pm EST #NationalPoetryMonth2021
- Poetry Reading at the Maria Lisella (Queens Poet Laureate)Poetry Workshop, April 15,2021 at 11:30am EST #NationalPoetryMonth2021
- Poetry Reading for the Upcoming Festival of Poetry “Anantha”by Samyukta Poetry on April 17,2021 at 7:30pm EST #HappyNationalPoetryMonth
- My Poem “A Bridge Needs to be Built” read by award winning UK Based singer Tally Koren at the “Changing the Face of Poetry” event on April 04,2021
- Poetry Reading at the Hudson County Community College Cultural Affairs “Step Up to the Mic” Event on April 14,2021 #NationalPoetryMonth2021
- Poetry accepted for the Boundless 2021:the anthology of the Rio GrandeValley International Poetry Festival. #NationalPoetryMonth2021
- Poetry Published in the e-chapbook “Lessons from the Earth” curated by Poet Laureate of Cobourg, Ontario, Canada #EarthDay2021
- Launch of the “The Kali Project” in Kolkata, India by the Rakshak Foundation #TheKaliProject
- Poetry published in the Beat Generation – National Beat Poetry Foundation Anthology 2020 #National PoetryMonth2021
- Poetry selected for publication in the “Writing for Peace” anthology to be published in May 2021 by Dove Tales.
- Poetry Published in the Adelaide Literary Awards 2020
- Poetry Published in the Visual Verse Vol 8 Chapter 06 Ekphrastic Journal
- Poetry Published in the Vita Brevis Anthology “Brought to Sight and Swept Away” #NationalPoetryMonth
- Poetry Published in the Spring 2021 Pandemic Issue no7 North of Oxford
- Poetry Published in the “Surviving Suicide:a collection of poems that may save a life ” Anthology by Nirala Publications #NationalPoetryMonth
Happy National Poetry Month 2021!!